Below are only a few of the frequently asked questions we get about our dog grooming products and services. Soapy Paws Pet Salon wants to be your choice for dog grooming services in the Salem, Oregon area. If you did not find the answer to your question here, please contact us or call us directly at 503-585-2300. We are happy to answer any questions you may have.
- How long will grooming take?
- Does the shampoo kill fleas?
- What about anal gland expression?
- How often should I get my dog groomed?
- How can I get my dogs nails shorter?
- My dog has sensitive skin?
- My dog’s hair is very matted?
- Do all the dogs mingle together at your shop?
- Do I need to bring my dog’s vaccination record?
- When can I get my puppy groomed for the first time?
- Do you sedate the dogs?
- What if my dog is aggressive?
1. How long will grooming take?
We typically ask 3 to 4 hours depending on how busy we are and the type of dog.
2. Does the shampoo kill fleas?
Shampoo will kill live fleas but will not kill the eggs. You will need to follow up with another treatment to kill the eggs.
3. What about anal gland expression?
Typically it is small dogs that have a problem with anal glands. You will notice them scooting or licking. We express anal glands externally, unlike a vet, who expresses them internally.
4. How often should I get my dog groomed?
Most owners have their dogs groomed/bathed every 6 weeks.
5. How can I get my dogs nails shorter?
We clip the nails as short as we can, based on how long the quick is. If your dog’s nails are extremely long, you may need to have them clipped every 2 to 3 weeks until you reach the desired length.
6. My dog has sensitive skin?
All of our shampoos are natural, aloe based, hypoallergenic shampoos. We do offer an oatmeal shampoo and conditioner that many dogs benefit from. There is no extra charge.
7. My dog’s hair is very matted?
If your dog’s coat is very matted it will most likely have to be shaved very closely. Since the closer to the skin you are the more likely it is to cut, we may have you sign a “Matted Pet Release” form. We are always very careful, but sometimes the mats are very close to the skin making it more dangerous to the dog. Regular combing/grooming of your pet can avoid this problem.
8. Do all the dogs mingle together at your shop?
No, we kennel all dogs separately unless an owner has multiple dogs and wants to keep them together.
9. Do I need to bring my dog’s vaccination record?
When you come in we will get some general information from you including whether your dog is vaccinated and the vet’s name. We don’t need to see the record or have proof.
10. When can I get my puppy groomed for the first time?
You always want to wait until the puppy is fully vaccinated and then they are ready to be scheduled for grooming. In the meantime, you can be sure and brush the puppy and play with its feet, maybe use a hair dryer on it to get it used to the feel and the noises.
11. Do you sedate the dogs?
No, we do not sedate or medicate dogs in any way. Many customers, however, do medicate their dogs prior to grooming if they are particularly anxious or stressed out.
12. What if my dog is aggressive?
We will always give at least 1 try to groom/bathe the dog, however, if they become aggressive and it is a safety issue, we will contact you to come and pick the dog up.